Tuesday, August 11, 2009

competitive driving?

As we traveled across the southern United States, I had lots of chances to see how people react to being passed by a 15 passenger van with polka dots. Amazingly enough, lots of them speed up.

So envision this, big white van coming up behind you in the right lane. It moves over to pass. As it approaches on your left side you realize it's a big ol' 15 passenger church van.

What? A church van is about to pass you? You check your speedometer. If they are going that fast, maybe you could speed up a mile or two.

Now inside my van, I realize this person must be feeling a little intimidated, competitive or the realized they've been talking and not pressing the gas anymore (it's the pedal on the right) or something - because now they are in my blind spot traveling the same speed I am.

They were NOT going faster than me when I approached them... so why are they hiding in my blind spot now? Nervous? Competitive? Just trying to agrivate me?

If someone passes you and you realize that for whatever reason you want to speed up, wait til they pass you. Then pick your favorite speed.

Just because I have polka dots on my van doesn't mean I can read your mind.

No comments: