Sunday, May 18, 2008

walking part 2: check with your dr.

Well, who knew that going for a walk through Dragonfly Ditch could cause such a problem. Maybe it wasn't where we walked, but rather how far. 1 mile. Maybe it wasn't the distance, but deciding to do it everyday, for 3 days. Maybe it's because when they say check with your doctor before starting any exercise program, they mean it. My sister would say if I had started 4 months ago, it might have been ok. Darren says, he only meant 15 min around the block.

But not me. At 7.5 months pregnant, I decided to finally start walking. All the kids were dressed and ready and we took to the Ditch, Dragonfly Ditch. 1 mile, took us about 40 minutes, for 3 days in a row.

What do you know...I started to swell. Even as we were walking that first night, my ring felt tight. Then my watch, then my feet. It felt weird and even hurt because they were so swollen. Then I was starting to feel nauseous and lightheaded and the room was spinning...

Yep, my blood pressure was up and I was retaining water. You know what that means - bedrest.

I didn't really even feel out of breath when we were walking, although my left hip wasn't sure it was going to make it. I thought I was doing good. Fresh air, nice walk, getting out of the house, honeysuckles - for 3 days...and then it was cut short by the blood pressure.

Only 5 weeks to go - then we'll go walking again. After I check with my health care provider!

No comments: