Saturday, September 20, 2008

When nematodes are NOT beneficial...

Since the girls and I have been working on cleaning up all the tree debris from the pruning of the last weeks - my feet are sooooo itchy from bug bites.

I was thought it was mosquitoes (which makes me nervous since some mosquitoes in the Denton area have tested positive for steroids and West Nile Virus). But as I realize how many bites Rebekah, Emily and I have... well, the conclusion must be chiggers!

In our quest to rid the homestead of chiggers back in the spring (or summer?), we used beneficial nematodes. And while Darren sprayed water and microscopic worms (that were hibernating in a yellow sponge) all over our back yard - we never saw them. He might have been spraying dead nematodes or nothing at all, how would we know?

I can't see chiggers and I can't see nematodes. What if nematodes are baby chiggers? So instead of lowering our chigger population, we've actually increased it.

Wonderful. If you'll excuse me, I have to scratch myself.

1 comment:

jraedavis said...

It's interesting you posted this because just a month ago we were saying to someone here we think some chiggers got into our house and they look at us with this blank stare: WHAT are CHIGGERS?!

And how gross that they grow worms in a sponge--I'm throwing my sponge away NOW--bleaching it may help me with my germophobe side :)