Tuesday, September 16, 2008

You could sell your children

While sitting with my "little" family at a local restaurant, Emily says, "You could sell your children and make some money."

What? Darren and I were talking about something else and Emily just enlightened us with her stream of consciousness. Sell your children (of which she's one of many).

"Who would we sell first? You?" NO!

"How about Claire?" No!

"Becca?" No! "Katy?" No. "Jacob?" No.

"Well, I'm running out of kids to sell. How about Amanda?" sigh. OK.

In the meantime we look over at Becca with tears in her eyes. "You aren't going to sell us, are you?" Um, No.

Sometime's it's hard to know when to joke with one 5 yr old, while not traumatizing the other.

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

You'd make a fortune. And really, you must wonder how little Emily's mind managed to devise this scheme.

Heidi said...

I remember the time I told Madeline at bedtime that it was time to sleep to recharge her batteries. She immediately burst into tears. I asked her what was wrong, and she told me that she thought she wasn't real because she had batteries. Poor baby. I hadn't reckoned on literal thinking.

Will De Hart said...

Jennifer,

I'll buy one of 'em if you'll sell'em cheap. As my wife always tells me, it's not the initial cost, rather the cost of upkeep. But hey, I'm in the mood for a fourth child.

rebekah, I don't see any blogs on your blog spot. I want to read one.