Tuesday, October 21, 2008

turtles and the 45 minute hour


So you may be wondering how I get anything done with six kids. Most days I get to the end of my day and can see all the stuff I HAVEN'T done... without giving myself credit for the myriad of things I do get done.

It is a wonderful season in my life, even if I can't remember if I've brushed my teeth or not.

In the midst of trying to balance the big kids with a new curriculum (that we are really enjoying), the sisters who want to "do school", a potty training toddler who wants a movie (which bring everything to a stop because they all want to watch whatever movie the 2 yr old picks) and a nursing baby that wants to be held - much less the regular cooking and cleaning... I had an idea.

I know, I know, it's not very often that I have a complete thought these days. This one popped into my head in the 27 seconds I was in the bathroom...

The 45 minute hour. Stay with me here. What if we do school for 45 minutes? Then I let them play for 15 minutes...while I do some kind of mommy thing?

The big kids get a break, the little sisters get to play with the big kids, and I get to finish cleaning up breakfast, start a load of laundry, check my email, regroup for the next chunk of school or brush my teeth...

The other brilliant part of my plan involves the Kindergarten class. I have figured out that I cannot do school with both at the same time... just doesn't work. So while I am with one sister, the other sister has a job - play with Amanda. Then they switch. So far so good. This idea is a keeper!!!

And here we are making the life cycle of turtles with clay
- part of Jacob's science for the day.







4 comments:

Heather said...

Great idea!! I might have to steal part of it, the 45 minute hour part if thats o.k. with you. Oh, and that first and second picture look frighteningly (is that a word?) similar. Katie looks like a not-so-little mommy these days, wow how time flies! Love you guys!!

Heidi said...

The 45 minute hour. I like it. It has a catchy sound. And it's more manageable than than the 60 minute hour, which is so relentless.

Priscila said...

Brush your teeth??? What's that?!

Nice glasses, mommy!

Now, why couldn't Ethan have a twin? I like your idea of someone taking turns playing with the toddler :)

I have the two big boys take their break with Toby also, but they have to teach him something during the break. So far he's learned all the colors, all the letters and number 1 to 10. Next up is Algebra! LOL

We SHOULD be doing school together!!

Lord, do you hear me? :)

Poopa said...

I'm now catching up i guess
my first blog is to my oldest grandaughter, and now since i'm a pro i'm blogging my oldest daughter.
Great Pics
See you tomorrow and i threw the indiana hat away sorry
love
dad