Friday, November 14, 2008

Sweet Nell


Nell Elizabeth Couch. My grandmother. My mother's mother.
My SweetNell.



When I was a little girl - mid 70's - there was doll at Dairy Queen, called "Sweet Nell". The story goes something like this:

Little Jennifer gets up in grandma's lap. "My doll's name is Sweet Nell."
Grandma says, "Nell, that's my name too."
Little Jennifer says, "You SweetNell?"

Yes, she is. To me, to the other grandkids, to her friends... "Sweet Nell".

Don't be fooled by the name. She's not your average, do whatever you want to grandma. She's the one that taught me to play Scrabble, cut throat style, even at 10. We had an official Scrabble dictionary and "board's play"... meaning, if you let go of it, that's where it stays. Amy's game was Monopoly. I guess we didn't do much but drink Coke and play games at her house. Yahoo! That's what I'd like to spend all my time doing right now.



Hard to believe Amy and I are old enough to have kids old enough to say funny things to SweetNell. All of our kids make a great- grandmother. And that she is - great. And "sweet".

2 comments:

Dame Katy said...

I didn't know that story!
And how old were you when she cut your hair?
Hee Hee....

marcus_amy said...

I have been thinking about her a lot as well! I would love to play a game of scrabble and have a coke with both of you. Good job sis!! Love you