Monday, June 28, 2010

Double Arches

I think my favorite part of Arches National Park was feeling small. These huge orange and brown rocks against a bright blue sky with a few white clouds.

“Oh. Beautiful. Wish you were here.” – French Kiss

When the Lord started talking to us about leaving Texas, Chuck had a word about “being sent out from the center, like a dandelion being blown away”… or something like that.

In the middle of the Utah desert was a small oasis of green…and probably the largest Dandelion I’ve ever seen.

Since it was 100 degrees, we only took the family on one hike – Double Arch.

When we got closer, Claire kept telling me "namebow" ... rainbow.



Yeah! We all made it.

I am standing in about the same place for both of these pictures…. do you see how small Darren is in the 2nd one. The blue spot to his right is Jacob.

Emily and Becca got to go a little higher as well, but on the other side of this arch is a cliff dropping straight down…. a LONG WAYS DOWN. So we didn’t get to close to the edge!

Now you are looking back out to the cars. Nana volunteered to stay in the cool van with Layla (no pets on the trails). Can you see them?

Hurry, hurry, hurry. Time for one last picture before the battery dies.



Here's a few other pics we took... it's really beautiful, there just isn't much grass. Being a big problem for Layla... made it a problem for me.
Just pee on the rocks! And their were plenty of those.





Quote of the day: I think I have sand in my mouth. -Emily

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

So beautiful. You are a brave woman traversing those trails with six kids. But then, you are a brave woman anyway.

Every time I see that kind of landscape it makes me think of the Grand Canyon. There is something so incredibly majestic about giant rocks with big holes carved out by the elements.

Beautiful.

PS Loved the "French Kiss" reference.

Will De Hart said...

Pretty Cool, or HOT as the case may be. Thanks for posting the pictures. Looks like ya'll had some fun.