Thursday, March 12, 2009

Swimsuit crisis of '09

  1. Emily and Becca and Amanda do not need tan lines. Daddy and I are the only ones who might get to see them anyway.
  2. They don't need skin cancer on any of the places I miss while applying sunscreen.
  3. If I don't want them to pee in the pool, then a wet one piece is a cruel joke in the bathroom.
  4. So swimshirts with spf it is. Bought all 3 at Target.
  5. Amanda's bottoms look like boy shorts - but Emily and Becca have the traditional panty bikini. Who decided panties were the best look for swimsuits? With all the retro going on, you'd think there would be more boy short swimsuits for everyone!
  6. Is modesty really an issue for my 6 year olds? I do want them to be able to swim and go down the slides.
  7. And here's the biggie... If my girls are wearing swimshirts, don't all those same reasons that I chose for them to wear a swimshirt apply to the mommy? Doesn't the mommy set a good example by following the same beliefs she is thrusting upon her children?
There are lots of options for me... I don't have to wear a swimshirt with spf 50 - I could just throw a Tshirt on over my swimsuit. But I would be wearing it for modesty sake not for the sunburn prevention I really care about. Since modesty isn't my strongpoint, especially if I'm actually walking around in a pair of panties made out of special swimsuit material, then why wear the shirt at all. Plus I'd have to take it off if I was going down any of the slides.

So mom goes out to some websites and considers buying/wearing an spf rashguard shirt... but they are all solid colors. No pattern to hide leaky breasts or sweat or love handles. All the models are skinny. Sure, they say they sell the shirts in XL, but no one wears them on the website.

So I pick a shirt I don't like to go with panties, or possibly some long shorts or even capris made of swimsuit material, but they look like spandex. Again, fat girl in spandex - better or worse than fat girl in bikini? And there will be fatter girls than I in bikinis this summer. So I'll be looking good next to them, in whatever I wear.

What do I want to wear?

I want a high neck tank top with or with out cap sleeves, made with a patterned swimsuit material and solid boy cut shorts this year. That's what I want... now I'm on a mission to find it!

And I'm not even ready to deal with Katy's swimsuit yet.

3 comments:

Priscila said...

I hear you, Aunt Jenn!
Check out this site, it has very modest tops and bottoms. Mix and match, shorts or not, pattern or solid.
http://www.landsend.com/
or
http://www.modestswimm.com/buying/info.htm

Have fun shopping!

Amy said...

Don't be fooled. Boy shorts are not necessarily a curvy girls answer. They don't hide the love handles and they accentuate the fut batt(It sneaks out the bottom;)
Yikes

Heidi said...

I like these websites, Priscilla. I like wearing something that I don't have to worry about adjusting to keep myself covered.