Tuesday, March 3, 2009

TAKS

I think most tests measure exactly what they ask and no more... the TAKS is no different. It can only tell if you know the answers to the specific questions you are being asked, not how "smart" you are.

Since my kids are good readers, I did not have to deal with the drama many others faced. But let me share this story about the Katy (reading since she was 4.5 years old).

Last week they took "practice" tests. Katy scored an 80 (the highest in her class). Apparently, they gave them the hardest samples and told the kids the ones on the test would be easier. I'm not sure that gave the students the boost in confidence that they needed. Katy was worried about the test last night. Apparently, it was stated that if you didn't pass it, then you would have to be in extra study halls or extra tutoring that MIGHT interfere with Choir practice... so don't mess up on the TAKS.

Like I said, my kids are good readers and all this unproductive stress, not to mention all the wasted time this semester to get ready for said crazy test, was bothersome to all.

Jacob also had to take the TAKS today. The curriculum we are using for him, K12, is actually funded through the state and we are part of Texas Virtual Academy...technically a public school student. Darren dropped him off at the Grapevine Convention Center from 8:30am-noon. Jacob said they started the test at 9:10 and he was done around 10am. He had to sit quietly for 2 more hours (yes he brought a book to read) while the others finished.

Someone has got to be able to figure out a better way to find the test results the state is looking for...

In the meantime, I only had 2 kids home today - Claire and Amanda. Seemed like my day actually went slower...

3 comments:

jraedavis said...

Jason says she sounds British :) how cute

Priscila said...

Yes, she does sound like a britt! lol
We really really enjoyed the Commanda and watching ClaireBells crawling. The boys thought Amanda was SO funny!
We sure love you! And those smarty pants taking silly tests too! :)

Amy said...

I was wondering the same thing with the accent. Darren has no accent you have a southern drawl--I guess that is what you produce. I agree with mamanda the chair is soft.